(Available loose 8.5" x 11," matted, or in a black wood or black metal frame 11" x 14")
In 1953 the Most Reverend John A. Floersh, Archbishop of Louisville, asked the Sisters of Mercy to establish a new high school at the corner of Bardstown Road and Tyler Lane. Inspired by the Marian year decreed by Pope Pius XII, the school was named Assumption High School and opened on September 6, 1955 with Sr. Mary Prisca Pfeffer RSM H'15 as the first principal.
The Boeckmann Computer Lab was added in 1990 and an 11,000 sq. ft. arts and science wing was included in 1995. In August 2002, the Convocation and Athletic Center (CAC) opened which houses a 1200-seat spectator gym and convocation area, Hall of Honors, media center/library, chapel, 12 classrooms, and a campus store. In May 2005, the original gym was renovated into the Humana Foundation Performing and Fine Arts Center featuring a 295-seat thrust-stage theater with an exhibition space for student artwork. An 11 acre sports and education complex opened in July 2005 on nearby Champions Trace Lane. Named the Assumption Green, it included a field hockey/soccer/lacrosse field, an eight-lane track, and softball field. In August 2012, the Assumption Green's eco-friendly building opened with an educational space, outdoor environmental lab, athletic training room, locker rooms, restrooms, and concession area.
Assumption High School is one of 41 schools in the nation to receive the Blue Ribbon School of Excellence award from the U.S. Department of Education three times and the only school in the U.S. to win the National Catholic Education Association's (NCEA) Innovations in Education Award four times. Since 1955, the community of Assumption has educated over 10,000 young women and continues to be guided by the Assumption mission where faith guides, compassion inspires, integrity matters, and excellence empowers.