Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, 1917
The Chapel of the Immaculate Conception functions as the heart of the Ursuline Campus on Lexington Road in Louisville, Kentucky. Completed in 1917, it stands in the center of the Campus as a sacred place for the Ursuline Sisters and for each of the units of Sacred Heart Schools. Fred J. Erhart was the architect of the octagonal chapel. Ground was broken on August 1, 1916, the cornerstone was laid on December 8, 1916, and the first Mass was celebrated in the Chapel on December 8, 1917. The Chapel’s centennial was commemorated throughout 2017.
The Chapel also serves the public as the site of “Mass of the Air,” a taped program that is broadcast each week across Kentucky and Southern Indiana. A Preservation Fund has been established to finance needed repairs and updates in order to sustain this important structure for future generations.