Duncan Memorial Chapel 1937
Duncan Memorial Chapel was built in Floydsburg, Kentucky in 1937. Alexander E. Duncan, a successful entrepreneur, built the chapel for his wife, Flora. Duncan was raised on a nearby farm, and purchased the 16 acres of land, including one of the oldest cemeteries in Kentucky (dating to 1799), as a tribute to his grandfather. Duncan donated the land and buildings to the non-profit Floydsburg Cemetery Company.
The architect of the chapel was Fred H. Elswish, who chose an Early English Gothic Style architecture. The chapel and walls around the cemetery are made of native stone from the surrounding countryside. Inside the chapel, the walls are made of Indiana limestone, and the roof and floors are made of slate. "The Last Supper" on the altar is the work of F. Pecoste of Waukegan, Wisconsin, who learned his trade in Oberammergau, Germany. The stained glass windows were created by Henry Lee Willet of Philadelphia. Part of one window was selected by the Rockefeller Foundation to be shown at the 1937 Paris Exposition as an outstanding example of stained glass work in America.