Louisville General Hospital, 1911
Constructed in 1911 on Chestnut Street, the hospital replaced the Marine Hospital in the Portland neighborhood as the primary hospital facility serving Louisville and Jefferson County. The center building in the drawing was originally flanked by hospital buildings on either side. This building was mainly used for teaching the School of Medicine and School of Dentistry students.
Designed in the Italianate architectural style, the building features tall narrow windows with pediments, a stone rusticated base, a projecting roof overhang, and symmetrical design elements. The building is now the Abell Administration Center and houses offices for the University of Louisville Medical School Administration and support services.