Academy of Our Lady of Mercy
In 1872, the Sisters of Mercy in Louisville began holding day classes at their Second Street location under the name St. Catherine's Academy. In 1885, the first high school diploma was awarded under the name Academy of Our Lady of Mercy. In 1901, the Academy moved to 1176 East Broadway where it remained until the summer of 2007 when it was relocated to the current location at 5801 Fegenbush Lane.
Since the first year of the Academy in 1885, Mercy has remained a small school and will keep their commitment to remain small in the future. A small school atmosphere is unlike any other in terms of personalized attention for each student and the learning environment for teachers. This atmosphere is what makes Mercy successful year after year and helps teachers achieve the goal for each student which is to develop as a self-confident, self-reliant individual with a strong educational and Catholic background.
The academic program has produced students named National Merit Semi-Finalists and Finalists. In addition, Mercy students are chosen each year to participate in the Governor's Scholars Program and the Governor's School for the Arts. The athletic program has developed athletes who have captured numerous state and regional crowns in recent times. In 2000, Mercy was named a "Nationally Recognized School of Excellence" by the U.S. Department of Education.