Sacred Heart Academy 1964-2010
Sacred Heart Academy was founded in 1877 by the Ursuline Sisters and has served as a college preparatory school for girls since that time. In December 1960, four acres bordering the east boundary of the Ursuline Sisters’ property was purchased as the site for a new Sacred Heart Academy building. In the fall of 1962, the “new” Sacred Heart Academy building opened. The Angeline stated, “Romantically sentimental upperclassmen will never admit that the new building is Sacred Heart….But, just as the automobile replaced the chestnut mare, the new building introduced a fresh, enthusiastic, and modern atmosphere on campus. It has a hardy, pioneer-like look, symbolic of the challenge of building its own tradition.” It is the fourth school building to house SHA students on the Ursuline Campus since 1877.