Saint James, 1913
National Register of Historic Places
Officially titled by the National Register of Historic Places as St. James Roman Catholic Church, Rectory, and School. The church was designed by local architect J.J. Gaffney, who also designed the Belvoir Apartments, Holy Name Church and Adath Jeshuran Temple. It was dedicated in 1913 and is in the Baroque Byzantine style. Restoration of the interior to restore the ornate 1927 decorative motif was recently completed to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the parish.
The parish was established in 1906 with Father E. Earle Willett as the first pastor. He was known to travel on foot to visit families in the surrounding neighborhood. The parish clustered with St. Brigid in 1994, and has a parish school of St. James. It is located in the 1400 block of Bardstown Road.