St. Xavier High School 1900-1961
St. Xavier was established by the Xaverian Brothers who came to Louisville in 1854. It is in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville. This school building, now demolished, was located at 118 West Broadway, the former Newcomb estate. The building included a swimming pool and gymnasium which were later replaced with science laboratories and a cafeteria. It also had the largest auditorium in Louisville, holding 1,200 seats, until the space was needed for more classrooms.
St. Xavier moved to Popular Level Road to accommodate the growing student population, opening in September 1961 on 54 acres. The athletic teams have earned over 179 KHSAA championships, making it one of the most accomplished high school athletic programs in the country. It is the only school in Kentucky to receive the Blue Ribbon of Excellence Award four times.