The Water Tower 1860 - National Historic Landmark
In 1860 the 169 foot Water Tower began operation, pumping Louisville's water through a 26-mile network. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971, it has been called "one of the most outstanding examples of American industrial architecture."
Designed by water company Chief Engineer Theodore Scowden, the pumping station is of classical Greek Revival style .The Water Tower, which housed the standpipe, resembles a Roman triumphal column.
The tower itself is of Doric order, adorned at the base by 10 Corinthian columns. Atop the columns are statues representing a mixture of Greek and Roman gods, the four seasons, and a Native-American and his dog.